Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Journal writing Goal

A couple of weeks ago while watching General Conference for my church, I set a goal to begin journal writing at least once a week.  I'm hoping this won't be too hard for me since I was an avid journal writer for a good portion of my life.  The sad part is, I stopped writing when I met my husband.  I was using journal writing as an outlet to vent out all of my drama.
Whereas my life has definitely calmed down in the drama department over the last 6 years, there are many things going on that I would like to remember, and I would eventually like my children (and grandchildren) to be able to read.
We're living in Nampa, Idaho now - just bought our first house, actually.  The process was a little painful, but we are so happy to be in our new home!  We got a great deal - it actually appraised for $138,000 when we paid $132,500. Unfortunately we weren't able to put much down, so we have to pay mortgage insurance, but the market is going up so we're hoping to be able to refinance in the next couple of years and get rid of that.  We're hoping to be able to knock off a couple hundred from our $920/mo payment.  Maybe those numbers will be more interesting in a few decades. :)
It only has 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, but its 1800 square feet with 2 living areas, a beautiful stone fireplace and .25 of an acre.  More than enough house for us, plus the location is perfect - right across the street from a middle school and a park.  We have easy access to tennis courts, basketball courts, soccer fields, baseball fields, playgrounds and disc golf.  Needless to say, we're loving it!
The best part though, is our ward.  BY FAR the friendliest ward we've ever been in.  We've been in for about 6 weeks (with general conference and a couple of weekend vacations in the middle), and I feel like I've met everyone.  We've given talks and received callings.  Wes and I were both called as ward missionaries, which is completely different than anything I've ever done.  We have a weekly meeting (on Tuesdays), and are able to visit the new members and less active members whenever convenient throughout the week.  We attend the gospel principles Sunday class, which is an amazing spiritual boost, and are starting to delve into family history.  Apparently new members who are able to find an ancestor and perform temple ordinances for them are something like 80% more likely to stay in the church.  That's a really cool figure!  Neither of us have done much with family history in the past, but our families both have and we figure its time for us learn... especially if we want to help the new members!  Besides, I reread my patriarchal blessing the other day and I totally forgot it mentioned that I would be filled with the Spirit of Elijah and family history would become very important to me.  Pretty cool!
I was also called as the Relief Society Activities CHAIRMAN.  Woah, talk about responsibility!  Definitely the biggest calling I've ever had.  But I met with the Relief Society presidency last week and it seems like I'll have a lot of support.  I have about a month to plan the next activity and we're doing Christmas crafts.  I'm actually pretty excited. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment